Saturday, September 18, 2010

2nd steps of making the giant baby blue bunny mailbox


Here is a detail of the ears. I have put a piece of wire across the ear to hold it in place while I add the concrete. I will snip the wire off after I have added enough concrete to hold it in place and it is dry.


You can only add a little bit of concrete at a time. So I built up half the rabbits ears on saturday and then on sunday I can add some more. Patience. What is that? What you mean I have to stop and wait till tomorrow!
I have been putting in two or three hours a day. This blog shows what I have accomplished by the third day.





By the second day I was able to put the top coat onto some parts of the rabbit, which is a mixture of mortar mix with a little bit of cement thrown in for strength.

The whiskers of my rabbit were made at the Blacksmithing barn in Bundoora park. They are pieces of iron, heated up in the forge and bent into shape by using a hammer on the anvil. The other ends are bent to so that they stay locked in the cement and can't be pulled out. However well I planned to have them locked in place, it didn't work out that way, so they are a bit wobbley. I put too many little bits of foam above them and the concrete never made it down to lock them into place as well as I would have liked. So it is definitley think and plan all you like but learn as you go, by your mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment